Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Is Our Purpose Real...Or Just A Figment Of Our Imagination??

So we do have a greater purpose right....?


There is a higher meaning to what we are about - what we are desperately hoping to achieve. YES. But to my core, there remains a fragility that is neither logical, or rational.

The brain will attempt to function, and at every turn, every obstacle...be overridden by fear and emotion. Thankfully in my case today, that power subsides quickly...in a matter of only minutes or hours.  Three very short years ago, in the depths of clinical depression, I would be frozen by such fear, and so overwhelmed by emotion - that my dysfunctional state could last for weeks...or even months!!

To this day, and through my incredibly loyal following - the tools that helped me shake the BLACK DOG, can be viewed in the public forum of FaceBook...on almost a daily basis. The greatest lesson learned, was the ability to embrace the enemy...before letting go. Many have shared similar experiences, and some have thanked me for sharing this advice, personally experiencing great results from this technique. 

You must understand, previously, through my formative years, teen years, in fact all the way through to 40 years of age - my concept of dealing with something was to try and push it away...and so this constant battle was 'feeding' it, while draining me. Eventually the level of attention had etched the enemy into the brain - like scars from a physical injury. Just like a classic movie, the footage was played internally, on an endless loop. Of course the ongoing effects were obvious to all - creating a storm of emotion, followed by the worst fog haze you will ever imagine.

"Harden up...take a spoonful of cement powder!", the well-wishers will only be too happy to offer such advice. I would suggest that to be about as effective as saying, "Put a band-aid on the leg, to stop the bleeding - where the TIBIA is sticking out through the skin!".

To be honest, my diagnosis, and the subsequent recovery from depression has been the most enlightening life experience I've ever encountered - and is quite literally the catalyst to all that is happening in my life today. When I say I believe all things happen for a reason, that is genuine. While I would never wish the depths of depression, and the despair and hopelessness that goes with - upon anyone...it all makes sense to me now. 

This has been the most critical, formative, and enjoyable part of my life so far. I was simply not equipped to cope with the challenges I now face on a daily basis. My perception is greatly heightened, and an ability to think on the fly continues to astound even myself. Unfortunately, what has come with that has been an increased level of impatience.

My new found purpose? To educate and re-connect city and country people. My message has become increasingly animated in recent times, as I have heard many happenings within the dairy industry...that have shaken even me! The urgency of my message has been accelerated, as we are fast running out of time. Personal decisions must be made NOW, to change our spending habits, to support local business and farms, to work together for a beneficial net outcome.

I stir the pot...I antagonise...I polarise !! But with due respect - I always LISTEN first. My intentions are at times so poorly interpreted by some followers - that they instantly spew venomous remarks straight back at me...and promptly UNLIKE my page - some even stop buying 4REAL MILK. 

Let's play devil's advocate...these people, so disgusted with my lack of sensibility and professionalism - to the point of boycotting everything "FARMER GREGIE" on principle...do maybe some of them drink ICEBREAK? Possibly have a can of COKE a little too often? Pop a can of PRINGLES...or a packet of PEANUT M&M's? I wonder how their personal relationship is going with Craig Garvin, Warwick White, John Bryant and Bill Duncan?

What the?? Well they are the respective company CEO's (so the google search tells me...happy to be corrected due to my lack of research) - so it must make logical sense that my EX followers have formed close personal relationships with all of their food sources? Seriously...I'm not joking! It makes sense right?

OK...joking :) Get a grip people! I've been accused of whingeing and being especially rude or mean-hearted by some. If only they opened their mind to the message, and it's importance. Anytime you see me re-post a message, my intention is not to shame these people - it's their message posted in a public forum...they posted it. The objective is however to analyse their sentiment, and explain just how flawed, unrealistic or unreasonable it is. I feel compelled to offer an alternative view, as a means to an end - education. 

You must understand, that in the past 18 months of running tours on our family farm, hosting thousands of visitors - I've yet to experience the vitriol of some online followers. Our guests are always very receptive of my message, polite in their questions, and without exception...applaud loudly when leaving.

So yes, there is method in my madness...and it works for me. People genuinely fascinate me. Some will continue to make judgement calls and decisions based on hear-say and propaganda. Sadly, a very small number will hide behind their profile pic...or avatar - saying and doing things they would never do, "face to face". Farmer Gregie will remain methodical and analytical...as he dissects the human brain, and its relentless thought processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment